Monday 11 May 2009

Releases // Monday 11th May

Neils Children after being together a decade, and coming across a number of obstacles have released a full length album, "X.Enc". The band have put the record out on their own label Structurally Sound and has surprised me how much I've enjoyed listening to it. Previously the only track I knew particularly well was "I Hate Models" which although I have strong nostalgic feelings towards, it wasn't the greatest song. The record as expected sounds very post-punk with tracks like "Sometimes It's Hard To Let Go" but some tracks like "An Exchange" have been fused this with dark atmospheric tribal drums.

MP3:Neils Children - Sometimes It's Hard To Let Go (zShare)
MP3:
Neils Children - An Exchange (zShare)


New York's Telepathe and Effi Briest join forces and cover each others tracks for a super limited 7". Telepathe remix Effi Briest's "Mirror Rim" and turn it into their own no wave song with their signature vocals and beats. Effi Briet cover "Chrome's On It" which becomes a spacey psych track which you can lost in. Remember to catch Telepathe at Stag and Dagger on the 22nd May.

Vivian Girls return with new 7" "Moped Girls" and on the flip side "Death". Unfortunately I went to try and buy this today but neither Crash or Jumbo had it, so I still haven't heard it. From what I've read the only place you can get hold of it is Rough Trade. Also if anyone finds MP3's of these tracks link me up please. You can also catch Vivian Girls at Stag and Dagger on the 22nd May.

The Horrors - Who Can Say from IM // UR on Vimeo.

The Horrors first physical single release from the new album is "Who Can Say". It is undeniably a good track, however it is clearly the most commercial song and is their attempt to convert their critics. Music video again by The Jesus and Mary Chain's former member Douglas Hart which is also much more mainstream compared to the fantastic "Sea Within A Sea" video. You can catch them at Cockpit on the 7th June with support from the fantastic Factory Floor.

MP3:The Horrors - Who Can Say(zShare)

Kasms release their debut album "Spayed" today. When i first heard this this band I was quite interested in them, however having heard quite a few tracks I've started to really dislike them. From the tracks I have heard off the album it doesn't look like my opinion will change.

Leeds based label Dance To The Radio last week (4th May 09) released the first of a series of four 12" singles. The first featured Wonderswan, Pulled Apart By Horses, Broadcast Society and Bear Hands. For me the only track that stood out was Wonderswan's "Hey Nature" the calm vocals over scuzzy guitars made me love it. I'm going to need to see these guys live next time they play.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter